Tech Review: The Galaxy S9





Tech Review: The Galaxy S9


Samsung’s 2018 installment of the flagship S-series is, as always, drop-dead gorgeous and slightly better than last years offering. Physically, the fingerprint has moved from the right of the camera to just below it, the display has less bezel, and there are new colour options. That's about it. Software-wise, the device runs newer software out of the box and will be supported for a longer time. Are there actually any reasons to buy this device over the Galaxy S8, or should you save yourself a few bucks? Read on to find out more.

Setting Up

Contents within the box

The Galaxy S9 runs Android 8.0 Oreo right out of the box, but I still needed to update the system before I could use it. As with all Android phones, I had to sign in to my Google account, agree to a bunch of stuff, and set up the security system on the device. Because it’s Samsung, I also had to sign in to my Samsung account to utilize all of the features on the phone.
After I set up the device, it took me to the usual Samsung Experience Home. It has Samsung Experience 9.0 on top of Android 8.0 oreo, with no OneUI update yet. Samsung Experience was also formally known as TouchWiz UI, which Samsung changed in 2016 with the release of a beta build for the Galaxy S7. I had to update pretty much every Samsung system app as well, such as Camera, Files, and Notes. While updating, I grew fond of the 'about' page in each app, which gives you information such as app version and if it's up-to-date or not. 
As some of you may know, Android 9 pie is also available for the S9, but I have not received it yet (damn you T-Mobile!). I will write another article on the Android 9 update for the S9 once I receive it.

Specs

DeviceSamsung Galaxy S9
OSAndroid 8.0 oreo                      (up to Android 10)
Samsung Experience UX 9.0       (One UI 2.5)
Display5.8″ 1440 x 2960
ProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon 845
RAM4GB
Internal64/128/256 GB
ExternalMicroSD (up to 512GB)
Camera (rear)12 MP 4K60 F/1.5/2.4
Camera (selfie)8 MP 1440p30 f/1.7
Battery3,000 mAh
ProofingIP68 (4 ft. up to 45 mins)
ChargingUSB-C 3.0 non-reversable
BiometricsFacial, iris, fingerprint
NetworksGSM CDMA HSPA EVDO LTE
Price$720

So, what’s in the box?

I was pretty excited when I found out that the Galaxy S9 came with a USB-C to USB adapter, as I will be able to transfer files from my Kindle directly from my phone and charge some of my other devices while i’m on the go. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t use that feature unless i’m absolutely desperate, mainly because I don’t think the battery on the S9 is big enough to last a full day and charge another device. It can be useful at home, when you want to sit somewhere where there aren’t many plug sockets around, but I wouldn’t use it anywhere else.
Another cool thing which comes in the box are the $10 AKG headphones. The speaker on the S9 was tuned by AKG, so I think it was rather fitting to include some headphones from AKG too, to provide a great audio experience from both the speaker and the headphones. 
The AKG headphones provided within the box

It’s waterproof!

The waterproof feature on the Galaxy S9
The S9 has an IP68 water resistance and dust resistance rating, which means it is completely resistant to dust and small particles, and water resistant for up to 40 minutes for up to 4 ft. of water. Unfortunately, you’re not supposed to put it underwater in the sea though, due to the water quality and sand. The phone also lets you know when there is moisture in the charger port, so you don’t end up breaking the phone by plugging it in (you can still wireless charge).

Wireless Charging Stand

The wireless charging plate
The S9 has Qi wireless charging capabilities, and can be charged through most cases. I tested the wireless charging capability through my INCIPIO case and it worked just fine. I had no problems with the charger not recognizing the device or anything, and it charged just as fast nevertheless (10w).
My INCIPIO case for the S9
I’m not sure if all the cases wont have problems with wireless charging, but I don’t think they will. Most of the cases for the S9 were pretty expensive, but none of them were exactly protective. My case came up at around $15, and it was one of the thickest ones available at Walmart. Most of the other cases came up around $45, some $70.

AR Emoji: Well, it’s not terrible…

My AR Emoji
I haven’t had many issues with the software or hardware on this phone; it’s almost perfect really. There are just a few kinks in the software, but that’s all. AR Emoji is one of those kinks. While the facial features don’t look half bad, there seems to be something a little off-putting about them. Plus, the clothing section is pretty empty. I don’t like any of the costumes, personally, but the current one will do. Also, it seems like the camera cannot detect your mouth or some facial expressions that well, as the emoji kept looking scared whenever I smiled. Unless my smile is genuinely that ugly, not cool. At least we have some cool AR Emoji sticker packs, like Frozen, Zootopia and the Incredibles, perfect for younger kids messaging family or friends.
The different types of Zootopia AR Emoji
There are a few weird AR Emoji packs, but since Samsung is a South Korean company, I think it’s to be expected. There is one pack which looks like it was from an anime show, and within some AR Emoji packs you had to do a Korean heart… I looked it up, watched multiple videos, and it doesn’t seem like I can actually do it. I still don’t know what happens when you do create the Korean heart.

Verdict

Overall, the Galaxy S9 is probably one of the best phones I have ever laid my hands and eyes on. Not only does it have an amazing camera, but its software helps improve the overall aesthetic of the device as a whole. The only couple of things I would change about the device is the battery capacity and the AR Emoji. 9.3/10

Comments

Popular Posts