Opening up about Open Source


Opening up about Open Source

Last weekend, I began my week-long journey to be open source on both my Linux machine and my OnePlus 8... I say I tried because I barely lasted 24 hours, even after I found all of the apps and programs I needed. It just wasn’t a viable option for someone that has not got a lot of spare time, is a full time student and likes to socialize. Now, I did stumble upon some apps that I do find genuinely useful and now continue to use, but I’m no longer going full-on open source. However, I am open to continue using certain open source projects on my devices and continue to use custom ROMs and Linux on the respective devices. I’m currently running DerpFest 11 on my OnePlus 8 and Zorin OS 16 on my laptop.

Why Go Open Source?

The number one reason for many individuals and companies to open source their projects is because many more developers around the world can see it and thus fix any bugs, improve the code, and adapt the code to their liking. I have seen so many local-music apps with the same base code, it’s unreal, but it allows each of those separate apps to be stable, secure, and up to date. The user can decide on their own which one to use based on preference or unique features to one platform compared to the other. It’s also very helpful for the economy too by fueling people with new ideas and because it’s way more efficient than having a small group of developers at a company work on a project themselves. You’d be surprised to know that even Apple and Microsoft have open sourced some of their work, such as Swift and Microsoft's own code base.



How Did I Prepare?


Now, before you dive right in without thinking about it, slow down and take a little look around. Research open source alternatives to your current apps you use on your phone, your laptop, and any other devices you want. Do they have the same features or maybe even better ones? Are any of your current apps already open source? Does your device meet the requirements for the software (you can’t run Windows executables on Linux that well!). Also, don’t settle for the first app you see, have a look at various options from different stores and see which one will make the best fit (F-Droid has open source only, but you can still search on APK Mirror!).


I ended up installing all of these apps onto my device! I did go a step further and flashed a custom ROM onto my phone, but you don’t have to do that if you don’t know anything about custom ROMs and other custom firmware. I will cover them in a different guide.


Category

Usual

Open Source Alternative

Note Taking

Google Keep / OnePlus Notes

Joplin

Music

YouTube Music and Spotify

Retro Music Player and Eleven Music

Messaging

Android Messages and WhatsApp

QKSMS, Telegram

Weather

Google / OnePlus Weather

Geometric Weather

Video

YouTube, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Showtime, Xfinity Stream, Peacock

NewPipe

Email

Gmail

K-9 Mail

Calendar

Google Calendar

Etar

Clock

Google Clock

AOSP Clock

Contacts

Google Contacts

AOSP Contacts

Dialler

Google Phone

AOSP Phone

Calculator

Google Calculator

AOSP Calculator

Web Browser

Google Chrome

Chromium

Navigation

Google Maps

None

App Store

Google Play Store

F-Droid

File Manager

OnePlus File Manager, Files By Google

AOSP Files

Keyboard

GBoard

AOSP Keyboard

Launcher

OnePlus Launcher

Poseidon Launcher and Trebuchet

Mobile Pay

Google Pay

None

Password Management

Google

KeyPass

Social Media

Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, Discord

Friendly for Twitter, Infinity for Reddit, Swipe for Facebook.

VPN

X-VPN

ProtonVPN


On Linux, I just used the default apps that come with Ubuntu 21.04, along with some of the apps listed above. Joplin and ProtonVPN are two examples of applications that worked on both Linux and Android.




What Went Wrong?


Ah, the fun part. A lot of stuff went horribly wrong, but I will say it was partly because of me as I rushed through the whole process. I jumped ship to Lineage OS before I even knew of one open source application besides F-Droid, so I spent hours scouring F-Droid for any good apps to use when I could have already been using my device by then. Other than that misstep though, it was primarily because of the lack of general knowledge of these apps that caused the experience to go downhill. My camera app made my camera even worse than it already was, which I didn’t even know was possible. I later looked it up and found out about the Camera2 API and various other proprietary code that of course couldn’t be used, so it wasn’t technically the community’s fault, but it still was an issue. Trying to sync my notes with Joplin on Linux and Android really does not work well, for me at least. Being a college student, I didn’t exactly want to pay for a subscription I would hardly use either, which ruled out cloud storage for me completely. Then, as I went to more and more classes, my experiences dropped further and further. We used a QR code in some classes to check in, but the built-in camera couldn’t scan it and open the link and I had to search for a QR code scanner before it was too late. It took so long to figure out how to add a Google account to Etar and K-9 Mail as well, having to set up a secure ‘app password’ with Google through 2FA and using that password instead of my actual password. A lot of this stuff would be too much for your average user, including the typical tech savvy Gen Z. I eventually gave in and started using Aurora Store to install some proprietary apps such as Snapchat and WhatsApp (my family refused to switch to Telegram), but even some of those didn’t work properly because of their dependence on Google Play Services (GMS). Also, mobile social media websites are clunky and are missing a few key features.


















How can it be fixed/improved?


I think the only way to get more people involved with open source is to 1) make it much more available to more types of people, and 2) make it easier to make and edit code or make it easier to learn to code for these projects. A lot of people have absolutely no clue how to code, and it really shows. I still have plenty of people who genuinely think I’m hacking the government or the college when I’m really just making a website for my programming class. The feeling you get from it is great, don’t get me wrong, but when the a key point for going open source is so the community can generate new ideas, fix bugs faster and for more competition, then that idea is flawed because of the amount of people that cannot be relied upon to keep the community going.


I would love to see open source as the main thing in the near future, but with major corporations sticking to closed source software and continuing to develop in the closed approach, I don’t see much changing any time soon. 


Please leave any comments in the post, especially if you have resources for learning to code, know of other useful open source apps, or just want to share your experiences with open source! Always feel free to comment. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Comment on this article or post! Please use appropriate language, otherwise your comment will be removed!

Popular Posts