Top 10 Tracks [December 2021]


Unfortunately, this week marks the beginning of final exams which already aren’t going so well. Thankfully, I leave for home either on Thursday or Friday of this week, and that day really can’t come quick enough. Extremely excited to see my new home for the first time in Oklahoma. Anyway, this months top 10 songs are here, some of them are queer, and they’re ready to be jammed to!

 

1. Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Against Me!

For a song released in 2014, it really was ahead of its time despite where we are now. It follows the main singer, Laura Jane Grace, and her gender and social dysphoria growing up transgender. Even being non-binary, I feel like I relate to the song a lot and love the representation of gender in the punk scene. Against Me! have released one more album after this in 2016 and a couple of singles in 2019, but have not been very active since.

 

2. Anarchy - Lilith Czar

Andy Black’s wife, Juliet Simms, brings back post-hardcore with her track, Anarchy, from her latest album, Created From Filth And Dust. For fans of Sleeping With Sirens and even My Chemical Romance, Simms does an amazing job with this song and I really cannot wait to check out the rest of her album later tonight.

 

3. Omniphobia - Sianvar

Omniphobia is my very first taste of prog-rock (or progressive rock), and I seriously cannot get enough. The mixture of the technical drums and Donovan Melero’s voice really create a psychedelic vibe that’s heavier than the likes of Coldplay, but still extremely mesmerizing.

 

4. Throw Away - SolaFide!

A local band from Jacksonville, Florida, SolaFide describe themselves as a feel-good indie pop rock group which originally began in 2015. Throw Away will definitely keep your spirits up during tough times (like finals) and is my go-to song while I’m studying by myself or with friends. It’s always great to introduce your friends to new great bands they’ve never heard before.

 

5. Pool Hopping - illuminati hotties

Pool Hopping is a another light-hearted and cheery song that is great for background noise. Sarah Tudzin, the producer, mixer and audio engineer behind the project, describes her tunes as “tender punk” and “soft punk,” which I agree describes her music pretty well. Probably for fans of Slotface.

 

6. I MISS 2003 - AS IT IS

Do you miss 2003? Yeah, I don’t either… As It is perfectly describe nostalgia and the changing nature of life in our crazy world. As It Is have a similar vibe to Point North, primarily known for their cover of Hammer originally performed by nothing,nowhere. This is the perfect song for those wishing they were back in 2003.

 

7. Down - Mod Sun and Travis Barker

What new pop-punk song doesn’t have Travis Barker drumming away anymore? Hardly any, and for good reason too. Down allows you to connect with your emotions and feel content with them, especially if you actually are feeling a little down. I know I do sometimes, which is alright. :)

 

8. Humanity Transcends - Creeping Death

I literally added this song because it’s my favourite death metal song (pretty much the only one I know at the moment) and is just so different to what I’m used to listening to. I love how intense the gloom is, being present in the vocals and even the elongated strums of the guitar.

 

9. I Don’t Mind - Imagine Dragons

I was so excited to see all of the old Imagine Dragons EP’s from before Night Visions be re-released on all streaming platforms. I played some songs from the re-released on a road trip to Long Island with some friends and none of them guessed who the band was. I don’t blame them though, their sound did a 360 between the EP’s and Night Visions’ release.

 

10. SHE KNOWS IT - Maggie Lindemann

With her pop-punk debut album, PARANOIA, Lindemann now has a new single which packs just as much punch as the album itself. She brings more LGBTQ+ representation to the alternative space by following a crush she had one a girl who also had a boyfriend at the time… You need to listen to the song to find out more.

 

Hopefully some of these tracks will get you through the rest of finals and the rest of Winter break. There will be a special top tracks, albums and EP’s from 2021 set to be released December 30th, just in time for the New Year (supposedly when Born With Horns is set to be released). Good luck!

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0tOLZmRASoLBc1ID0KTOfa?si=cfacfb57f0614bb9

 

Comments

Popular Posts